Thursday, September 25, 2008

hong kong

I went alone so I didn't feel the need to take too many pictures of me in good old HK, but the two pictures I did take are here for you to see.

both blurry...of course.


















Ok, neither picture is from Hong Kong. This one is in Shenzhen (China side) at a restaurant we always stop at during this trip. I had never, however, seen this delciousness. I didn't see the cook ever pull anything out of these jars, but maybe they did it when I was in the bathroom. I don't think we ate anything that looked like snakes or worms...



















This is horribly blurry, but seriously, I was grasping for entertainment on my 10 hour bus ride. The lady in green is the bus attendant. She counts us, makes sure we all get off to relieve ourselves, recounts us, makes sure we all eat, hands out the bus information cards, gives us water and finds out where we want to be dropped off. She is AMAZING! She makes the trip so much nicer and all of the buses have one of these ladies. I've been on her bus a few times so we're old pals.

Anyway, the woman she is talking to is the funny part of this picture. She is actually wearing a plastic poncho and would NOT take it off the whole trip. My guess, (since she never put on a sweater so she wasn't cold) is that she is a germaphobe. Many people in HK think the mainland is dirty and filled with disease waiting to contaminate you. I suppose compared to Hong Kong it's a little messier, but we aren't exactly worried about SARS anymore, right? Most real HK people (not Chinese people who moved there) have been surprised and disgusted that I would want to live in China. I am trying to change the mindset, but I don't know how much I can do. It's been labeled. Well you know what? I love this crazy country and I don't care if it is a little dirty. A little dirt never hurt.

No comments: