Anyone who has been to Xiamen knows this spot. Right outside the Alley, is a "Cultural Performance Center" which is actually a stage under a tree on the big walking road downtown. It's always a little bit of a shock when we stop to watch these performers because they preform the ancient operas. High pitched and exaggerated, these performances seem to be left to the tourists and nostalgic. But look at her. She must have been envied in her day. With a voice like that and the ability to pull off her character with such stage presence...you know she has sung this flirtatious piece so many times before. The makeup takes a little more time to hide the wrinkles, but the dress still fits and the new mic allows her voice to be bigger.
Her band might not have changed much. These guys have maybe been doing this on the side for years! One of them might have even been an old boyfriend of hers. I love envisioning what they all used to be. I love that they are still doing it.
I went to our Future Hope training session on GuLangYu (the island off the coast of our island). Kirk Parette came from America to talk and encourage the teachers. We got time off work and 2 nights at a beautiful hotel on the beach. I love watching the teachers enjoy things, and I want them to be pampered. If anyone deserves to be, it's these hard working people. This picture wasn't supposed to be on zoom, but I love how it turned out. Gloria is one of our Big Class teachers. She just got married and she sometimes stays after work for my English class. She is SO sweet and always thinks the best of people. I love her dimples.
This is Jing Jing. She is Future Hope's newest addition and works in LongYan. She was my roommate for the training and we had a blast. Her English is great, but she was nice and made me speak in Chinese. It's funny waking up and speaking in Chinese right away.
These people are also my coworkers. David (white) is the shortest guy at work and Jeremiah picks on him all the time since he's the only guy shorter than Jeremiah at work. Their friendship is hysterical and always involves some sort of physical violence. In the back is Francis. She and David are my two most faithful English students. We have class together on Tuesday and Thursdays after work, which is very entertaining!
This is the famous Lucy. She worked for the Parettes while they lived here and I have known her longer than any of the other teachers. This picture is for you, Amy.
Mr. Rafter, you are incredible. I saw you pass our beach a few times during our couple of days and all you did was paddle and slap the water with a long piece of bamboo for some reason. I couldn't figure out what you were doing ever, but thanks for being on your raft. You make me wish I had a raft.
This retreat was very refreshing. I learned so much about the heart of the Father and the hearts of my coworkers. I learned tons of new vocabulary. I learned to never play billiards or ping pong with Chinese people. I got to talk to Jenny (mother of the twins) about growing up and all the people she has lost along the way. I got to play bo bing (the local dice game especially made for the full moon holiday we just had) and won things like toothpaste and soap and laundry detergent. I got to spend time with my brothers and sisters while studying the word. I got to eat with them and be with them all day. It was one huge gift of a training retreat. We referred to one another as family and I know that is what we are. I can't believe I get to have people like this as family!
Thank you, Father, for so many good things.

1 comment:
GLORIA GOT MARRIED?!?! that's so exciting!! and it was so good to see friends from future hope :) i laughed when i saw the pic of david and jeremiah! haha. anna, thank you for blogging about your time in china. it's so great hearing about what's going on in your life even though we don't get to talk much. love you girl!! and i'm proud of you :)
Post a Comment