On the first train, I had a nice "soft sleeper" in a room with three other people. When those people got off, 3 other people got on. When one of those people got off, another person got on. It was a constant flow of questions and cultural learning on both sides. I burned my lip to the point of blisters with hot water...I ate fruit noodles and cookies for 3 days...I read half a book (fast for me)...I made friends with all the kids in the car...I didn't take pictures because of course my camera batteries were dead. It was 2 blurry days of talking and sleeping and using my dictionary.
Then, I arrived in xi an (west peace) where I got off the train and entered the city for a 9 hour layover. I met a girl in McDonald's who is studying to be an ENT doctor and was sweet enough to help me find a place to wash my nasty hair. She asked for an English name and I named her Lily. She invited me back to visit her and I told her to come down to xiamen any time. I love Chinese people!
Then, my friend's cousin met me and gave me the ticket he helped me buy. By then I had batteries in my camera, so I took a few pictures of xi an.
This is Jiandong who gave me my ticket. He was also my tour guide. He insisted we get some real xi an food and see some of the ancient sights of the city. I found out later that he was sacrificing one of his vacation days when he could be home... to take the crazy foreigner around town during her layover. It made me feel horrible to know that he could have been hanging out with old friends in his hometown, but instead he was lugging around my huge bag will all my stuff all over the city. He was far too nice. We had a good time and he made sure no one stole my stuff.
We went to one of the old roads that had been preserved for touristic purposes. We ate xi an noodles and drank sour flower tea. It was all delicious.
This is me in front of the drum tower where people would play drums in ancient times. I'm not sure what connection it has with the bell tower, but you can see the big drums on the front.
We went to the Bell Tower where the first emperor of united China would sit and look out over his kingdom. This huge bell would be rung on the hour to tell time. I could have paid $1.50 to ring it. I watched other people and was content.
This was the sight from the Bell Tower. I bet when the emperor looked out, it didn't look like this. I hope he would be proud of it now. All roads in the city were set on a grid coinciding with the Bell Tower. I like how you can see just how big of a city xi an is! Everyone coming or going from there that I talked to said the same thing "xi an has too many people."
These are the bells dug up from the tombs and ancient sights of worship. They had a performance, but we didn't stay for it. I love that pieces of metal could be made so beautiful and yet be so functional. Bells. amazing.
So, I hopped on the next train and collapsed exhausted on my hard sleeper. I slept for 9 hours on and off. I was glad to get pictures of the train. It seemed so 20s to me with the windows and seats and beds and hot water dispenser... I loved it. I would do it again in a minute if I had lots of spare time and some friends. Traveling alone gave me opportunities to talk to people, but I would have liked to have a pal.
This is my bed and my pack. That pack almost killed me. It was like toting two small children on my back all the way. Thankfully, I had so many nice people to help me when I was about to keel over. Sorry, roomie, I'm not a true backpacker.
You've seen pictures of my city, right? Palm trees? Woods? Mountains? I woke up to this!!! It was a bit of a shock. I traveled for 3 days and ended up in place so different from where I had come, but the time zone was the same and I could still use the same currency. crazy. It's BEAUTIFUL, but so different...and cold!
then... waiting at the station... there was my big sister! It was like seeing home in an ocean of strange. Being with here is the most comfy thing since coming to China. Something about coming from the same culture, same household, same childhood. She knows me in and out and nothing I can do would surprise her. I l o v e my sister. Family is good to have near when you're so far from everything you know.
We ate .50 noodles for lunch! It's so good to be together. REALLY.
More adventures to come! for now, goodnight.

2 comments:
ah Anna, i can wait to hear all about your adventures
Phil
Hi, Sweetie! I love the pictures, and I now have your blog in my favorites, so I can look all the time. Keep it up! xoxox Mom..and don't forget to hug your sister for me!
Post a Comment